New Zealand Partner Visa

The New Zealand Partner Visa allows you to live, work and study in New Zealand as a temporary or permanent resident if your partner resides in New Zealand or both you and your partner intend to live in New Zealand and apply for it.

Based on the circumstances and requirements, different types of New Zealand Partner visa is granted to the applicant after verifying the eligibility and category of the visa applicant. This visa allows you to include dependent children who are aged 24 or under.

There are many types of New Zealand Partner Visa granted by the New Zealand Immigration and some of them are

  • Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa.
  • Partner of a New Zealander Student Work Visa.
  • Partner of a New Zealander visitor visa.
  • Partner of a New Zealander work visa.
  • Partner of a Student Visa.
  • Partner of a worker works visa.
  • Partner of a worker visitor visa.
  • Partner of an NZ Aid student work visa.
  • Partner of Military visitor visa.
  • Partner of a Military work visa.
  • Essential skills work visa.
  • Culturally Arranged Marriage visitor visa.
  • Investor 2 resident visa.
  • Refugee Family support resident visa.
  • Tourism partners.

new zealand partner visa

Partnership Requirements for New Zealand Partner Visa Processing

If your partner resides in New Zealand or your partner or you are submitting an application to visit or live in New Zealand together, you have the eligibility for a visa based on your partnership. According to Immigration New Zealand, a partnership is defined as two people of the same or opposite sex who stay together in a “genuine and stable relationship” in any of the following:

  • A legal marriage.
  • A civil union.
  • A de facto relationship.

For the purpose, your supporting partner is one who is a New Zealand visa holder or New Zealand citizen and you apply for the visa depending on your partnership with him or her.

To have the New Zealand Partner visa granted, you and your supporting partner must:

  • Be of 18 years or more, or 16 or 17 years and have the assent of the parents or guardians.
  • Have met each other before submitting a visa application based on your partnership.
  • Not be close relatives.

The New Zealand partner visa requires you to produce a proof of ‘living together’ in a genuine and stable relationship between your partner and you in the same home. However, it should not be:

  • Maintaining different homes but spending time together in each other’s home.
  • Staying together on holidays.
  • Flat-mate arrangements.

Assessing Partnership Relationship For New Zealand Partner Visa

To assess your partnership, you need to provide the following evidence:

  • For how long you are together.
  • The length of time you have been living together as a couple.
  • The living arrangements.
  • The financial support your offer each other.
  • The financial responsibilities you share.
  • How committed you both are to living together.
  • The property, if any, you own or share.
  • Any children of you together and the arrangements to take care of them.
  • Household tasks that you share in-between.
  • How your relationship is recognized by others.

new zealand partner visa

Evidence of Partnership For New Zealand Partner Visa

There must be appropriate evidence of you and your partner living together in a “genuine and stable relationship”. The official documents proving this is considered to be more credible and eligible for the New Zealand Partner visa. Here your joint tenancy agreement of renting the property is the most favoured evidence.

Some of the other documents for evidence of genuine and stable relationship for the grant of New Zealand Partner Visa, though only a few are required, are:

  • Marriage or Civil Union Certificates.
  • Birth certificates of children you share.
  • Email, cards, letters, and social media conversations.
  • Photos of your partner and you together.
  • Proof of recognition of your relationship with others.
  • Proof of decisions and plans you make together.
  • Evidence showing you parent together.
  • Evidence of sharing your leisure time.
  • A joint home loan or rental agreement.
  • Joint bank accounts.
  • Evidence showing the assets you own together.
  • Combined credit cards or hire purchase agreements.
  • Power or phone bills showing joint utility account.

Time Spent Living Apart

The New Zealand Partner visa requires you to produce the following evidence and reasons if your partner and you have spent time living apart.

  • The grounds and circumstances of you and your partner living apart.
  • The period you and your partner were living apart.
  • How you contacted each other while apart.

Where you provide any evidence about your separation, the New Zealand immigration will use to assess its effect on your partnership.

new zealand partner visa

General Eligibility Criteria for New Zealand Partner Visa

You need to fulfil the following general requirements for having any of the above types of New Zealand Partner visa.

Proof of Identity:  You need to give the following for the identity purpose:

  • The original or certified copy of your valid passport. Where you have a certificate of identity provided by the government in your country to assist you to travel, you can produce it. It is wise to furnish the original copy of your passport for quick processing.
  • Two photographs which are acceptable in case of sending a paper application. In case you apply online, you need only one acceptable photograph.

Health: The New Zealand Immigration wants you in good health by complying with the health requirements, which is having a chest X-ray or medical examination. However, your health-check reports must be only 3 months old while submitting them with the application. Therefore, it is advisable to arrange your health checks before you apply for the New Zealand Partner visa.

Children, including babies, must also undergo medical examination but if they are aged 10 or under, they are not required to have the chest x-ray, while those who are 14 or under need not have a blood test.

Character: If you plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months, you should provide a police certificate if you are 17 years or more from:

  • Your native country.
  • Any other country where you have stayed more than 12 months in the last 10 years though you have not spent that 12 months at a time in one visit.

If you have provided a police certificate with the visa application sent earlier and if the certificate was issued in the last 24 months, then you do not have to provide one.

You are considered to be of good character if you do not have serious character issues like:

  • You are convicted of an offence and sentenced to imprisonment for a term of 5 years or more.
  • You are convicted of an offence in the last 10 years and sentenced to imprisonment for a term of 12 months or longer.
  • You are forbidden from entering New Zealand.
  • You have ever been deported, removed or excluded from any country.

Your Partner’s Character: Applying for the New Zealand Partner visa also requires your partner to be of good character. If he or she has any punishment for sexual offences or domestic violence, he/she will not be eligible for character requirements for the supporting partner.

You do not need to provide information on any previous convictions underwent in New Zealand that can be concealed under the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004. Your partner needs to provide police certificates to be able to support your visa application. However, it depends on the type of the New Zealand Partner visa you are applying for.

The police certificate must be 6 months or less than 6 months old when you present your application. Where your police certificate produced becomes one year or elder from the date of its issues, the New Zealand immigration may ask for further police certificate before the authorities decide on your visa application. You are entitled to add more police certificates from different countries if you have lived in different countries.

Bonafide: You must have a genuine reason for travelling to New Zealand and must meet all the visa conditions. The Immigration New Zealand will assess you to see whether you are bona fide by having all information in support of your claims in the application and about your circumstances.

Immigration Status of your Partner: Your partner is required to submit an original or certified copy of one of the following:

  • New Zealand passport.
  • New Zealand birth certificate.
  • Certificate of New Zealand citizenship.

Partner’s Place of Residence: The New Zealand Partner visa requires that your partner must live in New Zealand in case he/she has an Australian passport, permanent residence or resident return visa. In such a case, your partner should submit proof that he or she lives in New Zealand and it can be:

  • Bills or letters addressed to them.
  • Employment records.
  • Payment records from Work and Income, or tax records from Inland Revenue.
  • Mortgage, tenancy or utility supply agreements.
  • Documents which show their household effects moved to New Zealand.
  • Any documents to prove they live in New Zealand.

Eligible NZ Supporting Partner: Your partner must be eligible to support your application for New Zealand Partner visa. For this, your partner needs to complete the ‘Form for Partners Supporting Partnership Entry Applications’ for the relevant category as proof of support.

Your Partner Visa: The immigration authority will check records for the evidence that your partner holds a New Zealand Partner Visa of the required category for the visa application.

Processing Time: The processing time of the New Zealand Partner visa is purely based on the type of visa you are applying for, whether it is an online or a paper application, and how fast you produce the required evidence and other documents for the processing.

Fees: The fees for the New Zealand partner visa is purely based on the type of visa you are applying for.

new zealand partner visa

Get the Help of Licensed New Zealand Immigration Experts

To have the New Zealand Partner visa granted, it is advisable and essential to find the service of an immigration and visa consultant, which is licensed by the Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) to immigrate to New Zealand from India. At Immigration Help, we are specialist expertise in dealing with a temporary visa and permanent residency in New Zealand.


Being a professional in the field, we assure you that we meet the competency standards laid by the New Zealand government. We can help you with the following:

  • Explore all the possibilities of your visa options and choose the appropriate visa for easy New Zealand Migration.
  • Help you with all the eligibility requirements for the New Zealand Partner visa.
  • Educate you with what evidence is considered and help you gather documents relating to the history, financial and nature of the household to prove your relationship.
  • Assist you throughout the visa process until you reach New Zealand.
  • Provide you timely updates on the New Zealand immigration rules and processing time for New Zealand immigration from India.
  • Assess your situation and advise you whether you can appeal a declined visa.

For Assistance and Guidance related to New Zealand Partner Visa, You Can Contact Immigration Help

Immigration Help can handle New Zealand immigration from India process for you any time as a professional and reliable consultant. We are licensed/registered immigration consultants for Australia / New Zealand / Canada providing immigration advice. We assist you with easy New Zealand immigration by offering various New Zealand Partner visa services and choose the appropriate one.

Our extensive knowledge and expertise in the field will help through the New Zealand Partner visa procedure by meeting the New Zealand visa requirements.

With years of experience in New Zealand immigration consultancy services and wide knowledge of New Zealand immigration new rules, and New Zealand Partner visa eligibility, we have proved to be the most sought-after and dependable Immigration Consultants in Delhi for New Zealand.

Being a Licensed Consultant Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) New Zealand, we take pride in having most of our clients completely satisfied, working with us for their New Zealand Partner visas. Our knowledge and competence in the field combined with the core values of commitment, compassion and care has helped us give cent per cent result when it comes to filing the application and meeting the New Zealand immigration rules and New Zealand visa requirements for Indians.

If you are looking for a New Zealand Partner Visa from India or anywhere else and are not aware of the New Zealand visa procedure, we can help you.

If you are looking for genuine immigration consultants for Australia/New Zealand/Canada Immigration who can be of assistance in every step of Australia/New Zealand/Canada Immigration, you can contact Immigration Help at Mobile/WhatsApp +61 433303774 or drop an email at [email protected]



    Just let us know, our consultants will be happy to assist you.