Canada Student Permit Visa
Canada welcomes more than 200,000 students from foreign countries each year. If you as an international student intending to study at a Canadian educational institution, you must apply for a study permit. A study permit, once issued, allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved Institute for the duration of the specified course or program. The student permit (also called student visa) allows an individual to enter Canada as a full-time student at an accredited community college, university or any other institution. In order to be eligible to apply for a student permit, a student must be enrolled in a program of study that culminates in a degree, diploma or certificate and the institution should be listed under Designated Learning institutions (DLI) list authorized by CIC. There are three categories where students can file their visa applications which are S.P.P., General, and University.
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada:
- If the course or program you intend to study is less than 6 months in duration.
- If you are a family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.
- If you are a member of a foreign armed force.
Why Study in Canada?
- Canadian Universities earned the fame of delivering consistently high quality and internationally accepted degrees. It is also a known fact that some of the Canadian universities are also ranked in the top 100 by reputable sources such as The Times Higher Education Supplement and Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s Academic Ranking of World Universities.
- There are numerous specialization programs under diploma, degree, and post graduate diploma which are well regarded and offered in more than 200 institutions nationwide.
- Tuition fees are comparatively less in comparison to another leading study abroad countries. It is useful for the students to pursue their desired studies at one of the leading Canadian Universities at half of the cost in comparison to the cost charged at other foreign countries.
- It can be expected by the international student to get excellent assistance in accordance with the university studies such as orientation sessions, academic advising, prayer rooms, support programs, safe walk programs, student clubs, and assistance with medical concerns along with housing issues.
- While studying in Canada, students are allowed to work part time.
Cost of Studying in Canada
Tuition Fees- The sphere of tuition fees vary according to the institutions of Canada. It varies from Institute to Institute. It is a roughly calculated for a student to pay an average fee to a minimum of C$12,000(approx.) per year and could stand to a maximum average amount of C$40,000(US$34,000) per year.
It is one of the areas which is also a prime factor to be considered by the students who are willing to Study in Canada. The cost of rent varies in terms of location and the place where you study where you live in or off campus. In case you are looking to live off campus, you are probably to pay around $600 a month as rent for a room and around $1,800 per month to rent an apartment.
Working in Canada as an international student
It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as an international student, under Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) work programs for students. A student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study under the following categories:
On Campus without a Work permit
Campus Jobs: As an international student you are eligible to work on campus while completion of your study in the following cases-
- In case you are registered as full-time student at public secondary institution (college, university, CGEP)
- If you are registered as afull-time student at a private post-secondary institution that has the ability to operate under the same rules and regulation in comparison to a public institution and also cater the 50% finance from the Canadian Government.
- It is also possible to workoncampus if you are registered as full-time student in Canadian private Institution which is authorized and recognized by the provincial statute to grant- degrees.
- It is also feasible to work on campus if you hold a valid Work permit.
Off Campus with a Work Permit
Off-Campus Jobs: It is also feasible for you to work off-campus with a work permit
While completing your studies in Canada as an international student provided you meet the following criteria-
- You are eligible to work off-campus if you are registered as a full-time student at a publiclyfunded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.
- In case you have applied for Work Permit and have received the same.
- In case you are working for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions
- and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays or spring break)
- In-case where you are indulged in Co-op and Internship Programs where work experience is part of the curriculum supported by a Work Permit
Upon completion of graduation, an International student is eligible to apply for a CanadaWork Permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Such work permit which comes under this program is issued to amaximum period of 3(three) years which is connected to the length of the study.
Post Study Work Permit- Equal to the program length not exceeding 3(three) years
- 2 years Diploma-2 years’ work permit
- 3 years Diploma-3 years’ work permit
- 4 years Degree-3years’ work permit
- 1 year PG diploma- 1-year work permit
- 2 years Masters-2 years’ work permit
Student Partnership Program Colleges Canada
Student Partners Program well known and regarded as SPP is an administrative framework between the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC). Launched in April 2009, the main objective of this program was to streamline admission and visa process for Canadian Community Colleges which would increase the number of visas issued to Indian students for studying at Canadian Community Colleges. SPP was initially only open to the Indian nationals, but gauging how successful it turned out to be, the project has been extended to China as well. Under this program, nearly 40 Canadian colleges are listed, and there are several other ACCC colleges which welcome Indian students.
Students planning to pursue studies in Canada can apply to any of the participating SPP colleges. Applications under this program receive prompt processing and a fair decision based on the documents furnished by the students. In case an applicant meets the eligibility criteria of the college applied to, then he/she will be considered under the SPP program.
A large number of Indian students apply to various specialized trade requirement based diploma and Post graduate diploma program at Community Colleges in Canada.
Eligibility Criteria for SPP Program
Now as you are aware of the SPP as mentioned above, it is also fathomable for you to understand that you need to fulfill the eligibility criteria for the application to be considered under the SPP program.
If you are applying for a program under SPP it is necessary for you to meet the following eligibility criteria:-
- The course applied must be relevant to the student’s previous study background and must add value to the previous education.
- A study gap of no more than five years is allowed, with certain exceptions made for students with a three-year gap who have excellent grades with work experience
- An overall IELTS score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5. The test score must not be older than two years.
- Not more than 8 backlogs in recent studies are accepted under SPP.
- Minimum 50% score in their recently completed degree or diploma or Higher as per the SPP institution specific requirement.
- Furnish proof of payment of the tuition fee for one semester or one year (as asked by the SPP College).
- Purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from Scotia Bank of CAD$10,000 to cover living expenses for the first year of stay in Canada.
- Students with previous study visa rejection are not allowed to reapply under SPP visa category.
Advantages of applying study in Canada under SPP Program
There are certain advantages involved in applying under SPP, and they are-
- Streamlined admission and visa guidelines for all SPP participating institutions.
- Less visa documentation.
- Faster visa processing.
SPP Colleges in Canada
- Algonquin College
- Assiniboine Community College
- Bow Valley College
- Cambrian College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Camosun College
- Canadore College
- Centennial College of Applied Arts & Technology
- College of New Caledonia
- College of the Rockies
- Columbia College
- Conestoga College
- Confederation College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Douglas College
- Durham College
- Fanshawe College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Fleming College
- George Brown College
- Georgian College of Arts & Technology
- Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Lakeland College
- Langara College
- Lambton College of Applied Arts & Technology
- LaSalle College
- Loyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Manitoba Institute of Trades & Technology
- Medicine Hat College
- Mohawk College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Niagara College
- North Island College
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Northern College
- Northern Lights
- NorQuest College
- Okanagan College
- Parkland College
- Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Sault College
- Selkirk College
- Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Sheridan College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
- St. Clair College of Applied Arts & Technology
- St. Lawrence College
- University of the Fraser Valley
- Vancouver Community College
- Vancouver Island University
Canada Student Visa Requirements
Main criteria for Canada Student Visa are mentioned below-
- It is mandatory for a student to provide a letter of acceptance from a Canadian education Institution
- An applicant must prove to showcase sufficient funds for tuition fees, living expenditures for the applicant and also for anyone who is engaged the visa application (dependent/guardian), return transportation funds.
- It is also essential to provide a police verification or check certification showcasing a clean criminal record.
- For acquiring Canada Student Permit Visa, it is also required to prove a good health by passing a medical examination.
- In-person immigration assessment will determine if your intentions are genuine, and you plan to return to your home country after your course ends.
Canada Student Permit Visa Process Step by Step
There are certain steps which are involved in getting a Canada Student Permit Visa, and the Canada Student Visa process is explained here step by step
Step 1: Attending a Counselling Session
It is very much important for you to attend a counseling session at the nearest branch to dig out the options in connection with your study destination, courses available along with recommended institutions.
Step 2: Register with Immigration Help
Register with Immigration Help to start the admission and visa process. We can help you navigate through the various processes and make studying overseas easier.
Step 3: Apply for Admission
Once you have decided what and where you want to study, we will help you complete the application to the institutions of your choice.At the time of application for admission you will be required to submit several documents including proof of previous academic qualifications and in most cases proof of your English language ability.
Step 4: Go For Medical Tests
Once you have completed the step of submitting your application for admission, you are required to undertake a medical examination by one of the doctors approved by the Canadian Government. You will be provided with a receipt (IMM1017) for the medicals, which you will need to submit at the time of lodging your visa application. The medical report will automatically be sent to the visa office.
Step 5: Arrange Funds
It is also necessary to provide evidence of purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution for an amount of $10,000 CAD towards the first year living expenses and evidence of payment for of first year’s tuition fee.
Step 6: Payment of Tuition fee
It is important of furnish the proof of payment for your tuition fees to process your Canada Visa Application. You will be furnished with a payment receipt from the university or institute upon receivable of your payment. This receipt shall be further enclosed in your Student Visa Application.
Step 7: Visa lodgement
A Student Permit Visa is well known as a Study Permit in Canada. To file application for yourStudent Visa, you will need to provide the documents which are outlined below
Canada Student Visa Checklist
- Passport-size photographs
- Unconditional letter of acceptance
- Fees receipt (recommended)
- Scholarship letter (if applicable)
- Any relevant correspondence with the institution
- Financial documents
- Academic documents
- Test scores
- Work experience certificates (if applicable)
- Medical report (if already undertaken).
Step 8: Visa outcome
We will notify you as soon as we know the outcome of your Canada student visa application.
How Immigration Help can help you in relation to study in Canada?
- We will help you in finding the right college for your chosen course.
- We will help you to get admission in the chosen college / university.
- We will help you in lodging Canada Student Visa Application.
Why should you retain IMMIGRATAION HELP for your study in Canada goal?
• Licensed / Registered Immigration Consultants for Canada, Australia & NZ.
• Almost 100 % Canada Student Visa Success Rate
• Transparent Customer Service
• Working with a very large no. of Canada colleges / universities.
• Multilingual: English, Hindi, Punjabi& Urdu
Get in touch with us to live your dream of studying in Canada and avail an unmatchable quality assistance from us for your Canadian Study.
For more information visit us at
Call us right away at-
011 4160 7886 to 89 (Monday Off) Delhi, India
04 333 037 74 – Adelaide Australia (Monday to Friday)