Canada Student Visa
Canada welcomes more than 200,000 students from foreign countries each year. If you as an international student intending to study at a Canadian educational institution, you must apply for a Canada Student Visa (Study Permit). A study permit, once issued, allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program.
The Canada student visa (also called study permit) allows an individual to enter Canada as a full-time student at an accredited community college, university or any other institution. To be eligible to apply for a Canada student visa, a student must be enrolled in a program of study that culminates in a degree, diploma or certificate and the institution should be listed under Designated Learning institutions (DLI) list authorized by CIC. There are three categories where students can file their visa applications which are SDS, Non-SDS and University.
In some cases, you do not require a Canada Student Visa to go to school:
- If the course or program you intend to study is less than 6 months in duration.
- If you are a family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.
- If you are a member of a foreign armed force.
Why Study in Canada?
- Canadian Universities earned the fame of delivering consistently high quality and internationally accepted degrees. It is also a known fact that some of the Canadian universities are also ranked in the top 100 by reputable sources such as The Times Higher Education Supplement and Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s Academic Ranking of World Universities.
- There are numerous specialization programs under diploma, degree and postgraduate diploma which are well regarded and offered in more than 200 institutions nationwide.
- Tuition fees are comparatively less in comparison to another leading study abroad countries. It is useful for the students to pursue their desired studies at one of the leading Canadian Universities at half of the cost in comparison to the cost charged at other foreign countries.
- It can be expected by the international student to get excellent assistance under the university studies such as orientation sessions, academic advising, prayer rooms, support programs, safe walk programs, student clubs and assistance with medical concerns along with housing issues.
- While studying in Canada, students are allowed to work part-time.
Cost of Studying in Canada
The sphere of tuition fees varies according to the institutions of Canada. It varies from Institute to Institute. It is a roughly calculated for a student to pay an average fee to a minimum of C$12,000(approx.) per year and could stand to a maximum average amount of C$40,000(US$34,000) per year.
It is one of the areas which is also a prime factor to be considered by the students who are willing to Study in Canada. The cost of rent varies in terms of location and the place where you study where you live in or off-campus. In case you are looking to live off-campus, you are probably to pay around $600 a month as rent for a room and around $1,800 per month to rent an apartment.
Working in Canada as an international student
It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as an international student, under Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) work programs for students. A student may be able to work in Canada during study under the following categories:
On-Campus Without A Work Permit
Campus Jobs: As an international student you are eligible to work on campus while completion of your study in the following cases-
- In case you are registered as a full-time student at a public secondary institution (college, university, CGEP).
Off-Campus With A Work Permit
Off-Campus Jobs: It is also feasible for you to work off-campus with a work permit
While completing your studies in Canada as an international student provided you meet the following criteria-
- You are eligible to work off-campus if you are registered as a full-time student at a publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.
- In case you have applied for Work Permit and have received the same.
- In case you are working for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions.
- and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays or spring break).
- In-case where you are indulged in Co-op and Internship Programs where work experience is part of the curriculum supported by a Work Permit.
Upon completion of graduation, an international student is eligible to apply for a Canada Work Permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Such work permit which comes under this program is issued to a maximum period of 3(three) years which is connected to the length of the study.
Post Study Work Permit:- Equal to the program length not exceeding 3(three) years
- 2 years Diploma-2 years’ work permit
- 3 years Diploma-3 years’ work permit
- 4 years Degree-3 years’ work permit
- 1 year PG diploma- 1-year work permit
- 2 years Masters-2 years’ work permit
Study Direct Stream (SDS)
The SDS provides a streamlined application process and faster processing times but you must still meet all the requirements for a study permit.
Indian students applying to universities and colleges in Canada can now expect faster visa processing through the Study Direct Stream (SDS) program launched by the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada. Unlike the usual visa processing that may take up to 2-3 months, SDS allows students from India to avail their visa in 4-6 weeks. When a student who meets the eligibility criteria applies via SDS, most applications are processed within 20 calendar days.
Who can apply under SDS?
Features and Rules of SDS program Canada for India
As per the new rules, the SDS program has some special conditions and rules which are as follows:-
- Now, the minimum requirement of IELTS band is 6 in each module.
- A copy of your acceptance letter from a designated learning institution
- A copy of your upfront medical exam confirmation document
- Proof that you have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000
- Proof that you’ve paid the tuition fees for your first year of study
Advantages of applying for Canada Student Visa under SDS
The major advantages of applying under SDS are:
- Less financial documentation
- Faster visa processing time
Canada Student Visa Requirements
Main criteria for Canada Student Visa are mentioned below-
- A student must provide a letter of acceptance from a Canadian education Institution.
- An applicant must prove to showcase sufficient funds for tuition fees, living expenditures for the applicant and also for anyone who is engaged in the visa application(dependent/guardian), return transportation funds.
- It is also essential to provide a police verification or check certification showcasing a clean criminal record.
- For acquiring Canada Student Permit Visa, it is also required to prove good health by passing a medical examination.
- In-person immigration assessment will determine if your intentions are genuine, and you plan to return to your home country after your course ends.
Canada Student Visa Process Step by Step
There are certain steps which are involved in getting a Canada Student Permit Visa, and the Canada Student Visa process is explained here step by step
Step 1: Attending A Counselling Session
It is very much important for you to attend a counselling session at the nearest branch to dig out the options in connection with your study destination, courses available along with recommended institutions.
Step 2: Register With Immigration Help
Register with Immigration Help to start the admission and visa process. We can help you navigate through the various processes and make studying overseas easier.
Step 3: Apply For Admission
Once you have decided what and where you want to study, we will help you complete the application to the institutions of your choice. At the time of application for admission you will be required to submit several documents including proof of previous academic qualifications and in most cases proof of your English language ability.
Step 4: Go For Medical Tests
Once you have completed the step of submitting your application for admission, you are required to undertake a medical examination by one of the doctors approved by the Canadian Government. You will be provided with a receipt (IMM1017) for the medicals, which you will need to submit at the time of lodging your visa application. The medical report will automatically be sent to the visa office.
Step 5: Arrange Funds
It is also necessary to provide evidence of the purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution for an amount of CAD 10,000 towards the first year living expenses and evidence of payment for of first year’s tuition fee.
Step 6: Payment Of Tuition Fee
It is important to furnish the proof of payment for your tuition fees to process your Canada Visa Application. You will be furnished with a payment receipt from the university or institute upon receivable of your payment. This receipt shall be further enclosed in your Student Visa Application.
Step 7: Visa Lodgement
A Canada Student Visa is well known as a Study Permit in Canada. To apply, Canada Student Visa, you will need to provide the documents which are outlined below
Canada Student Visa Checklist
- Passport-size photographs
- Unconditional letter of acceptance
- Fees receipt (recommended)
- Scholarship letter (if applicable)
- Any relevant correspondence with the institution
- Financial documents
- Academic documents
- Test scores
- Work experience certificates (if applicable)
- Medical report (if already undertaken).
Step 8: Visa Outcome
We will notify you as soon as we know the outcome of your Canada student visa application.
How Immigration Help can help you with study in Canada?
- We will help you in finding the right college for your chosen course.
- We will help you to get admission to the chosen college/university.
- We will help you in lodging Canada Student Visa Application.
Why should you retain IMMIGRATION HELP for your study in Canada goal?
- Licensed / Registered Immigration Consultants for Canada, Australia & NZ.
• Almost 100% Canada Student Visa Success Rate
• Transparent Customer Service
• Working with a very large no. of Canada colleges/universities.
• Multilingual: English, Hindi, Punjabi & Urdu
Get in touch with us to live your dream of studying in Canada and avail unmatchable quality assistance from us for your Canadian Study.
Call us right away at WhatsApp No. +61 4333 03774