Australian Immigration - Frequently Asked Questions

A competency demonstration report (CDR) is a skills assessment report that is required by designated assessment authorities for admission of migrants into Engineers Australia. This report is often developed for engineering students who wish to settle in Australia but their countries lack accreditation from EA. The report must contain documentary evidence of important engineering knowledge and skills from students who wish to have it. CDR is a requirement for students who wish to have their skills and competencies matched with those of Australian standards. Having the report at hand will enable students showcase their candidature as the right students for engineering studies in Australia.

Competency Demonstration Reports consist of three critical parts. These are the three career episodes, a summary statement, and a continuous professional development (CPD) report. The Three Career Episodes outline the actual work and activities an engineer has undertaken. The Summary Statement is prepared based on reference points captured by the Three Career Episodes. A Continuous Professional Development (CPD) report is the final part of the CDR which outlines the courses, trainings, seminars, readings, and workshops among others that engineers have undertaken to enhance their engineering knowledge and skills.

Yes. By developing CDR, a demonstration of appropriate engineering knowledge and skills is required. This is because demonstrating relevant engineering competencies in the application for EA consideration increases the chances of acceptance. Some work experience is required in order to back up the Three Career Episodes report by outlining the projects and activities already done.

Yes. Work reference letters provide additional assessment information apart from the CDR. This is because these reference or experience letters outlines the applicant’s years of relevant job experience in the engineering field. The job experience letter will indicate the nature of the job in terms of the number of organizations served, duration of the jobs, specific duties assigned, and other endorsements.

Of course, since the work experience is not necessary in Engineers Australia so you can submit an application to assess your Engineering Qualification.

Yes, you can submit your academic projects done during your professional studies as a Career Episode in your CDR with relevant documentary evidences.

Immigration to Australia became very complex, therefore we cannot say that it would be easy, but it is the specialty of our company to make immigration as easy as possible for you.

The cost of immigrating to Australia is influenced by several factors, such as the type (subclass) of the visa and other additional costs, like the official translation and certification of documents, as well as our company’s fee.

This is also a question with many possible answers, because there are as many possible deadlines as visa types (subclasses).

Generally speaking, spouses and children fall into the purview of the visa, but siblings and parents do not.

This also depends on the type of the visa. For profession-based applicants the upper limit is 45 years. But for example there is no age restriction for partner visas.

In order to be granted Australian citizenship, you are required to have lived in Australia for at least 4 years, and for a minimum 1 year as permanent resident.

There are several evaluation types, but most of the Hungarian immigrants enter Australia on a professional basis, either independently, based on a scoring system, or through employer or state sponsorship.

You may be given points based on your age, your education, your relevant professional experience and your English skills. Extra points may be awarded for state sponsorship, or if you have worked or studied previously in Australia, and for some other criteria.

Absolutely. You are required to prove the level of your current English skills with a valid language exam accepted by the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

IELTS exams are the most widely accepted, but the Australian government accepts the following English language exams as well:

  • OET
  • TOEFL Ibt
  •  Pearson (PTE Academic)
  •  Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
  •  IELTS.

Again it depends on the visa subclass, but it can be stated that you need to achieve an each band 6.0 on the IELTS General Module to get a skilled permanent visa. However, an IELTS 5.0 can already be sufficient for an employer sponsored visa.

This is a very complex question. We can generally say, that there are as many different evaluation times, as there are different type of visas.
Usually the visas that grant less rights (eg. Visitor visa) are evaluated the fastest, they are often evaluated within 24 hours. The evaluation of the visas that have more requirements and offer more power, for example the work and/or immigration visas, can last for 6-12 months.
It’s important to note, that the imposed evaluation time can be changed by the Australian government without prior warning and that there is no upper limit for the evaluation time of the Australian visas.

You may be eligible to apply for a Partner visa 820/801 if you can satisfy the requirements which includes the following:

  • Applicant must be over 18 years of age
  • You both have been together for 12 months or more to satisfy DeFacto criteria
  • Married Couple – Marriage must be recognised under Australian Law
  • Relationship should be genuine and continuing
  • Mutual commitment to a shared life – to the exclusion of all others
  • Shared life including financial & social commitments
  • Health and character requirements
  • You meet ALL regulations & criteria for the visa application

Main difference between these visa types is where the applicant should be located when the papers are lodged with the department of immigration.

  • Onshore Partner Visa: Applicant must be in Australia – Subclass 820/801
  • Offshore Partner Visa: Applicant must be outside Australia – Subclass 309/100

The visa sponsor must be over 18 years of age. To be eligible the sponsor should meet one of the following criteria.

Must be:

  • An Australian Citizen
  • An Australian Permanent Resident
  • An eligible New Zealand Citizen

The short answer is two; eligible sponsors may only sponsor two partners for a partner/marriage visa to Australia. There are exceptions to this life-long ban; you should provide evidence of compassionate and compelling circumstances to obtain a waiver. In these circumstances it is possible to sponsor additional visa applicants

Onshore 820/801 Partner visas are permanent visas – the applicant (if successful) will be granted full residency in Australia; with 5 year travel rights.

You may be eligible for tourist visa to visit your partner while you are waiting for a decision on your partner visa. We have successfully obtained tourist visas for defacto partners.

It is not necessary for grant of visa that you must have lived together the whole time. It is important howevere you set out why you have been living apart and this would not be the intention, long term.

Good & accurate evidence is required with your application to ensure the Department understands your circumstances.

Yes the primary applicant and secondary applicant will need to complete  a health assessment. If you attended for an X-ray previously, we may be able to reuse this.

Members of the family unit may be included – these are know as secondary applicants.

The Partner Visa 820 is a temporary visa, this lasts until a decision is made on your permanent visa 801. The Partner Visa 801, is Permanent Residency. This is a permanent visa; your next step is Australian Citizenship!

A bridging visa ‘A’ (associated with you partner visa application) does not permit travel into Australia. Obtain a separate bridging before you depart Australia.

Student visa holders are generally eligible to make further visa applications while they are in Australia.

Check conditions on your Student Visa grant notice to ensure eligibility.

2020: Be aware of implementation of new migration legislation, this may have implication for student visa holders

An 8503 condition on your visa does not allow you to make a further visa application while you are in Australia. There are however exceptions to this; the regulations allow certain applicants to apply for a waiver.

Depending on any conditions imposed on your Visitor/Tourist Visa you may be eligible to apply for a partner visa while you are in Australia.

2020: Implementation of proposed immigration legislation may have implication for temporary visa holders in Australia.

When you have outstanding debts to the Government, your visa application will not be processed. Make arrangements to pay the debt before you submit your partner visa application.

If your previous visa was cancelled or if you had a visa application refused you are subject to ‘Section 48 Bar” (s48). This prevents you making further visa applications while you are in Australia.

There are however exceptions to the regulations which may allow you lodge a sucessful Partner Visa application

Medical conditions such as HIV may lead to a visa refusal. For Partner visas you may apply for a waiver on financial and compelling/compassionate grounds. There are many other factors that the dept will consider as part of the waiver application.

You are required to provide 888 declarations with your application. We usually request four or more declarations from you. Do not prepare these unless requested; time limits apply.

It is wise to consult a Registered Migration Agent to advise on your individual circumstances. You may be s48 barred from making further visa applications while you are in Australia. ​​A decision to refuse your application may be appealed to the AAT. Be mindful of strict time limits that apply. Call Us for more detail.

The following Schedule 3 criteria may apply to you: 3001, 3002, 3003 or 3004. Partner visa applicants who do not meet schedule 3 criteria may be eligible to apply for a waiver on compelling & compassionate grounds.

Canadian Immigration - Frequently Asked Questions

Candidates need to score at least 67 points under various criteria to be eligible to apply for Canada PR visa. Eligible potential candidate can now file his/her online application into the Express Entry Online Pool which is Canada’s most popular immigration program.

Obtaining “permanent residence” or “permanent resident status” in Canada is also known as “immigrating to Canada” or becoming a “landed immigrant.” The successful end result of the Immigration process is the issuance of an “immigrant visa” or “confirmation of permanent residence document”. Persons to whom an immigrant visa/confirmation of permanent residence document has been issued must present themselves to an Immigration officer at one of Canada’s official ports of entry in order to become landed immigrants.

Canadian permanent residents/landed immigrants and citizens enjoy all of the same rights and privileges (i.e. free health care, free elementary and secondary education, etc.) with three (3) exceptions:

  1. Permanent residents cannot vote;
  2. Permanent residents cannot hold a Canadian passport; and
  3. Permanent residents can be deported for certain criminal convictions.

Within any five (5) year period, a permanent resident must be:

physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (two (2) years) in that five (5) year period


outside of Canada, accompanying a Canadian citizen, who is his or her spouse or common-law partner or a child accompanying a parent


outside of Canada, employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business


an accompanying spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident, who is outside Canada and is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business.

To be eligible to immigrate to Canada, one must meet the requirements of one of the many categories of Canadian Immigration:

Federal Skilled Worker Class
Federal Skilled Trades Class
Canadian Experience Class
Business Class
Family Class
and apply for Permanent Residence in Canada through a designated Case Processing Centre/Centralized Intake Office.

Your temporary entry to Canada is subject to the discretion of the Immigration officer at the Canadian port of entry and they may refuse you entry if they know that you have applied for Permanent Residence in Canada and are, thus, an intending immigrant and not merely a visitor. If questioned whether you have an Application for Permanent Residence in progress, you must answer this question, truthfully; however, you should emphasize that your visit to Canada is merely temporary in nature and that it is your full intention to leave Canada upon the completion of your visit. Generally speaking, most of our clients in your situation have never experienced any difficulties, attempting to enter Canada as visitors while their Applications for Permanent Residence were in process although entry is NEVER guaranteed.

Canada’s Express Entry system is used to manage immigration applications from skilled workers who want to become Canadian permanent residents (PRs). Express Entry is not an immigration program in and of itself, but rather, this system manages applications submitted through three distinct immigration programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker (FSW),
  • Federal Skilled Trades (FST), and
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Express Entry is an electronic application management system, meaning that all information and documents are submitted electronically through an online portal. Express Entry is highly competitive, using the points-based Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to invite only the highest ranking candidates to apply for PR.

There are several different ways to improve your Express Entry CRS score.

If you have not achieved language test scores consistent with or better than the Canadian Language Benchmark of Level 9 (CLB 9), then this may be the fastest way of getting more points, though it depends on your language skills. Achieving CLB 9 or better on your language tests will qualify you for additional points through the Skill Transferability Factors of the CRS score.

Express Entry allows you to include your spouse (or common-law partner, or conjugal partner) and your dependent children on your application. If you are successful with your application, you and all of your accompanying family members will receive permanent resident status.

For Canadian immigration, a dependent child is defined as the following:

  • under 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner, or
  • 22 years of age or older and unable to support themselves financially due to a physical or mental condition.

Yes. You 100% require a language test for Express Entry. Even if you are a native English or French speaker or studied in either of those languages. There are no exceptions.

In order to be eligible for Express Entry you must have results from an approved language test in either English or French. The results must be less than two years old at the time you submit your final application.

The minimum required scores depend on which of the Express Entry-aligned programs you apply to: Federal Skilled Worker (FSW), Federal Skilled Trades (FST), and Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

There are three programs to apply for under Express Entry:

Skilled Federal Worker Program (SFWP);

Skilled Federal Trades Program (SFTP); or

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is a point based system used to evaluate and score candidate’s profiles in the Express Entry Pool. You are then ranked based on how many points you score. Note : that Express Entry draws’ minimum cut-off points depends on different factors each draw.

A candidate’s profile remains in the pool for a period of 12 months, or until he or she has been selected for a federal skilled worker program. After 12 months, a candidate may create a new profile.

Canada has 13 provinces and territories, each with its own immigration needs. Provincial Nominee Programs, or PNPs, are mini-immigration programs that allow these provinces and territories to nominate candidates for immigration who fit their specific needs.


There are currently 11 provinces and territories with active PNPs. The province of Quebec does not have PNPs, but does have its own special immigration system.


Some PNP streams are aligned with Express Entry and some PNP streams are not aligned with Express Entry. Earning a nomination from an Express Entry-aligned PNP will earn you an additional 600 points added to your CRS score.

Yes, you can apply to the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) using Express Entry. Firstly, create an Express Entry profile. Then, there are two ways to apply for a provincial nomination under Express Entry:

You can contact the province or territory directly and apply for a nomination under their Express Entry stream:

  • If the province accepts and agrees to nominate you, you can update your Express Entry profile to show you have been nominated;
  • If you get a nomination through your account, you can accept it online.

You can contact the province or territory directly, and apply for a nomination under their Express Entry stream:

  • If you receive a “notification of interest” on your account, it means that a province or territory has taken note of your profile. You can then contact them directly;
  • If you are nominated, you will receive approval through your account, which you can accept online.

Note: If you are nominated by a Province or Territory, you are awarded an additional 600 points in the CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System).

In most cases, yes, however, it’s always recommended to have a language test score. For immigration applications, the IELTS – General version and CELPIP exam are accepted options.

It depends on the type of immigration program. Each program has financial requirements that you must meet to qualify.

Most immigration programs have an age limit. In many cases, candidates who are forty-nine years old and over have limited options to immigrate.

Not necessarily, however, in most cases, it’s recommended to go back to your country of nationality and apply from there. Among many factors, you will also need to explain to the visa officer why you stayed illegally in another country, and how you will comply with the Canadian laws.

It depends on the immigration program. Some provincial nominee programs require you to have a connection to the province in which having a family member can be that connection. According to the Immigration Act and Regulations, a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident can sponsor a spouse, common-law partner, their children, and children of their children, including adopted children. There is also a specific program for sponsoring parents and grandparents.



    Just let us know, our consultants will be happy to assist you.