Australian Visitor Visa Frequently Asked Questions

This section provides answers to many of the Australian Visitor Visa frequently asked questions by clients about the Australian visitor visa application process.

  1. Who should apply for a Visitor Visa?

If you wish to visit Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, or to visit family or friends you will need to apply for a Visitor Visa (Subclass 600 – Tourist stream). People intending informal study or training for less than 3 months, may also apply for a Visitor Visa. Paid work is not allowed on a visitor visa.

The subclass 600 visitor visa has a number of other stream options including the Sponsored Family stream. Applications for this stream are lodged and processed in Australia.

  1. What are the criteria for assessing a tourist stream visitor visa application?

Applicants must satisfy four essential criteria:
• they must  genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia;
• they must be seeking to visit Australia for purposes other than business or medical treatment;
• they must have access to or have adequate means to support themselves; and
• they must satisfy the relevant public interest criteria, including health and character.

  1. What do we mean by a “applicant genuinely intends to stay temporarily in Australia”?

“Genuinely”, in this context, means the client will comply with visa conditions, depart within the validity of their visa and not seek to make further applications onshore.

  1. How long can I stay in Australia?

Visitor Visas can allow for single or multiple entry – and permit a three (3), six (6) or twelve (12) month stay in Australia on each occasion.

  1. I am a parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident.  What are the requirements if I want to apply for a longer visa?

Parents of Australian permanent residents or Australian citizens may be eligible for the grant of one of the following:

  • Tourist visa of up to five years validity with a stay of up to 12 months on each entry where they are applying from outside Australia and are in the Parent (subclass 103) visa queue
    • Tourist visa of up to three years validity with 12 months stay on each entry where they are applying from outside Australia and are not in the Parent visa queue.
  1. If I travel with my family, can I include them in my visa application?
    No. Each family member has to make a separate visa application.