If you are married to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, planning to marry one, or you are in a in a de facto relationship with one, you are eligible to apply for and obtain an Australian immigration partner visa provided other requirements are met.
Partner Visa Eligibility Requirements:
General Requirements for Australian Partner Visa:
- The sponsor of the visa applicant must be an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Both (visa applicant and the sponsor) must be aged over 18 years.
- The applicant must be married to or in a relationship with the sponsoring partner for at least 12 months.
- Satisfactory evidence that the relationship or the marriage is genuine, e.g. that couple live together, that there is mutual commitment. This happens usually by providing documentation including photos, joint bank statements, references from friends etc.
There are 2 types of Australian partner visa: Temporary Australian partner visa and Permanent Australian partner visa:
A) Temporary Australian Partner Visa:
- If you have applied for a partner visa while being outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when you receive the grant of temporary partner visa.
- If you have applied for a visa while in Australia, you must be in Australia at the time you receive the temporary partner visa.
If you have been granted a temporary partner visa, you:
- Are allowed to travel in and out of Australia until a decision about your permanent partner visa is made.
- Can work and live in Australia with your partner.
B) Permanent Partner Visa:
- If you have applied for a permanent partner visa while outside Australia, you are allowed to be in Australia or outside Australia when you receive your permanent visa grant.
- If you have applied for permanent partner visa while in Australia, you must be in Australia when you receive your permanent visa grant.
Please note that there may be some limitations on your partner’s eligibility to sponsor you depending on their circumstances, particularly if they have previously sponsored or been sponsored by someone for a Partner visa. We recommend that you consult with us in relation to your partner’s eligibility to sponsor you for a Partner visa.
All other general visa requirements, such as health clearance, character clearance, minimum age of 18 years etc. must be satisfied in order to lodge an Australian partner visa application.
How can we help with your Partner visa application?
The Department of Immigration closely scrutinizes Partner visa applications to ensure that they meet the legal requirements for the visa. Failure to do so risks visa refusal as well as significant wasted time and costs for you and your partner.
If you’re looking for a migration agent with extensive experience with Australia partner visas, look no further. We have extensive experience in obtaining temporary and permanent Partner visas for people in a married, de facto or registered relationship.