Canada Permanent Residency
Are you looking to become a Canada PR (permanent resident) visa holder? You are not alone. Canada is known as the ideal country to obtain Permanent Residency Visa.Every year, over 200,000 people enter Canada as Canadian permanent residents. They complete an application process that provides them with an opportunity for a new life in Canada. Once approved to enter Canada as a permanent resident, an individual receives a Canada Permanent Resident Cardand enjoy almost all the same rights as citizens of Canada (except voting privileges and unlimited stays when traveling outside of Canada).
The process of obtaining permanent residency in Canada (Canada PR) is complex and time-consuming. It is also in a state of constant change due to different foreign policy initiatives and modifications to regulations.
Individuals can apply under one of six categories for Canadian permanent residence:
- Skilled Worker Class Immigration
- Business Class Immigration
- Provincial Nomination
- Family Class Immigration
- Quebec-Selected Immigration
- International Adoption
Skilled Worker Class Immigration
Individuals can apply to become permanent residents in Canada under the skilled worker class. Applicants are evaluated based on education level, language ability, work experience, age, arranged employment and adaptability. Each factor is evaluatedindividually, and the overall score determines whether the applicant is a suitable candidate for permanent resident status.
Business Class Immigration
Canada offers tremendous opportunities to foreigners who want to do business in Canada. There are classes of individuals In the Business Class category that qualify for permanent residence: investors, entrepreneurs, and self-employed persons.
- Immigrant Investor Program
Requirements for Investors
To qualify for the Immigrant Investor Program, applicants must:
Have successfully operated, controlled or directed a business
Have accumulated through his or her endeavors a net worth of at least $1,600,000
Invest $800,000 for five years with the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada which acts as an agent on behalf of provincial and territorial investment funds.
- Entrepreneurs Program
Entrepreneurs are also required to demonstrate business experience in owning and managing businesses or in owning a share or percentage of an enterprise. They must also have a net worth of C$300,000, be willing to manage and operate a business and create at least one full-time job (not including his/hers) within three years of becoming a permanent resident.
NOTE: This program is currently paused. However, entrepreneurs may benefit from the Start-Up Visa Program stream instead.
3. Self-Employed Persons Program
This business immigration stream is for two types of self-employed persons:
- Those who will either establish or purchase a business in Canada that will make a ‘significant’ contribution to the economy or the cultural or artistic life of Canada, and;
- Those that have experience in farm management and will be able to purchase and manage a farm in Canada.
Farmers, artisans, sports personalities, actors, consultants, and operators of small business outlets that may be in demand are examples of applicants who may qualify.
Assessment in this category is based upon:
- Business ability and experience (when applying under the economic contribution component of the Self-Employed description)
- Artistic qualifications (when applying under the artistic/cultural component of the Self-Employed description)
- Net worth (sufficient to establish/purchase the proposed business)
If you have a specific Canada province in mind that you would like to settle in, you can go for Provincial Nomination Program Pathway. This process allows a province to nominate individuals that they wish to include in their selection for immigration and settlement in the province. This process requires the individual to contact the representative immigration office within the target province and apply for nomination to that province. After this nomination has been approved, the individual has to apply to the CIC, Canada for Canada PR visa application.
Family Class Immigration
If you have any members of the close family that are permanent residents in Canada, they may be able to help you obtain permanent residency. Family members sponsor approximately 30% of all immigrants that come to Canada. Individuals living in Canada are obliged by the government to sponsor family members coming to Canada for a period of 3 to 10 years to help them settle in Canada.
Province of Québec has a special agreement with the Federal Government of Canada to select immigrants that best fit its immigration requirements. There is a separate evaluation process for any individual intending to settle in Québec, which includes the following categories:
- Permanent workers
- Students – permanent immigration
- Temporary workers – permanent immigration
- Sponsored refugees
Canadian permanent residents are permitted to adopt children from foreign countries. The process is quite long and arduous to protect the rights of children. Adopting a child from another country involves different legal issues and entities such as the Provincial immigration office, Hague Convention that governs international adoptions, child’s country of origin legal offices and so on. Canadian families intending to adopt children have to be able to sponsor them for anextendedperiod and be committed to raising the child and pursuing his or her best interests.
Benefits of Canada Permanent Residency (PR)
- To live, work and study in Canada on a permanent basis.
- Canada remains the biggest immigration delivery hub in the world
- Eligibility for citizenship within four years of arrival and permanent resident status
- Highly-subsidized health and social security benefits
- Vast job opportunities for skilled workers
- Good working conditions and salary benefits
- Canadian passport holders enjoy visa-free travel to major countries
- Free choice of religion, race, culture, language, etc.
- Excellent opportunities for growth and wealth accumulation
- Dual citizenship allowed
- Safe and secure living environment
- Excellent education and government educational grants
- Opportunity to sponsor family members to join them in Canada.
What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
As a Canadian permanent resident, you are allowed to travel outside Canada after your arrival in Canada. However, to main your permanent residency in Canada, you must meet certain residency obligations. To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.
If you plan to apply for Canadian citizenship, please note that time spent outside of Canada cannot be counted towards the citizenship residency requirements. Currently, you must spend at least 4 of the last six years (1,460 days) in Canada as a legal resident of Canada to be eligible to apply for citizenship.
What is PR (Permanent Resident) Card?
The permanent residents of Canada are given the Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) as proof that they are Permanent Residents of Canada (in the case of the card holder travel outside Canada). The card holder would require the PR Card to re-enter Canada after leaving it once.